Friday, January 21, 2011

Iron-On Transfers

The way most kids in the 1970s got their printed t-shirts was by going to a shop that specialized in iron-on transfers. You'd select the design you wanted and then the blank t-shirt you wanted it printed on, and they'd make the transfer right there, while you waited, using a gigantic press.

Vintage iron-on transfers are fairly rare. I would guess most of the unused ones got trashed to make room for more popular ones, and eventually, for more modern screening techniques. I have only one vintage J5 iron-on transfer I have in my collection. here's what it looks like on the back:

And here's how the image would have looked on a t-shirt, only it would be a bit brighter, once it was off its backing:

In all honesty, even if I had seen this J5 iron on decal in a shop back in 1970 or 1971, I probably wouldn't have paid to have it put on a t-shirt, due to the quality of the art. If it'd had been a photo of The Five, however, I would have been begging my dad for $5.00 so I could get the shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment