Tuesday, November 30, 2010

When in Detroit, You Better Shop Around


On my way home from Tampa today, I had just enough of a layover to stop at the Motown Music Review shop. Nestled between a Brookstone and a DTW in the middle of Terminal A, you can hear the classic Motown blasting from a moving sidewalk away.

I always make a stop there when I pass through Detroit, hoping they'll have some piece of newly minted J5 memorabilia. They never have had anything more than a few Jackson 5 and Michael Jackson compilation discs but, this time, I was hoping they might have added some J5 items since they had been featured in a special exhibit at the Motown Museum earlier this year.

No such luck. There was nothing for the J5 fan, not even the most current cds that have come out from Universal Motown in the past 18 months. In fact, unless you are a Diana Ross fan, there's not much at all beyond some generic stuff with the word Motown emblazoned on it. I'll admit it, though -- I couldn't resist the coasters that look like tiny vinyl LPs, reproductions of Diana Ross and the Supremes' Live at London's Talk of the Town. When I set my iced tea glass down on one of them, I'll just pretend the label reads Diana Ross Presents the Jackson 5.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. I do love that DTW airport! Thanks for posting and enjoy those coasters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I travel through the Detroit airport on regular basis and stop in the store everytime with the same hopes but they never have anything J5! I was just there Tuesday and they had a Motown t-shirt with pictures of all the Motown legends EXCEPT for the J5!

    ReplyDelete